Tuesday, April 20, 2010

LAT Sports Review - Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Not much in the paper for me today. Jerry Crowe writes about hockey, which I have no patience for, and Bill Dwyre writes about a horse racing jockey named Joe Talamo, who I just don’t care about. Mark Heisler and Mike Bresnahan competently cover the NBA Finals, which I love, but more specifically, they cover The Lakers, who I do not love or root for.

The most interesting sports story to happen this week is the sad saga of boxer Edwin Valero. He had a host of personal problems before he murdered his wife and then committed suicide in a jail cell a day later. Valero was extraordinary in the ring. He was 27-0 with all 27 wins by knockout and 19 by first round knockout. In February I watched him defeat Antonio DeMarco in a very entertaining fight and I wondered if he was the best fighter in the world. He appeared unbeatable. It is a terrible tragedy that he was so unstable and ended the life of the mother of his children. This story deserved more attention than a small capsule on page 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment